Thursday 28 April 2016

Mum

Earlier this year my mum passed away. She was almost 97, so had a good innings.


She knew about my plans for this trip and loved the idea. 

This week she has been heavy on my mind, or rather her ashes are. She died in early January 2016 and here we are a week from May 1st and her ashes are still under my dining room table. Decision making is not always simple when you are one of six strong minded siblings, two of whom live abroad.



But I’ve just had the most brilliant idea, i'm going to take mum with me...





Not literally - that picture wouldn't fit in the car once I'm all packed up! Though my mother did love my car, Gloria, as she had always yearned for a soft top and never got round to getting one til too late. She would insist that whatever the weather, I was to drive her to her numerous hospital appointments with the roof down so she could give the other residents of her care home 'something to talk about.' 

Anyway, I've decided I'll transport her ashes with me on my trip and scatter them as I go.  That way she'll get to rest in lots of beautiful and interesting locations. 

If this sounds familiar, it is! It's the plot of the film 'The Way' where Martin sheen walked El Camino de Santiago, the 500 mile walk otherwise known as The Way of Saint James, scattering the ashes of his estranged son on route. 




She's be delighted to know that it's not long until I set off. 

This week I was thrilled to receive some fantastic map bunting from my amazing neighbour Claire. That should spruce Gloria up a bit on the journey!


My neighbours also got me a basket of goodies for my travels. I’m so lucky to have such a friendly community on my doorstep. 



Time to start the countdown!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, such a lovely way to honour your mum, taking her on your adventure. I hope you have the most fantastic experiences and meet many amazing people on your way round :)

    ReplyDelete