Sunday 10 July 2016

Day 70: Capes and Coves, Miners and Minack






St. Just is a small place with a big history as part of a Mining World Heritage Site. It has tiny back to back cottages that originally would have been miners’ homes. Botallack Mine is was one of the tin mines very near St. Just. It is between St Just and Pendeen village. You can see the two engine houses and the actual mine shaft goes 400 metres out under the Atlantic. The national Trust look after them and the arsenic mine nearby.


It's the one used by the BBC in the making of their historical drama series Poldark. My St. Just hostess Helen was unimpressed. She thought the acting wooden, the hero too dashing and the costumes too pretty and the sunsets too coloured up. She rather dismissed the series as an extended advert for Visit Cornwall! This is a view my eldest daughter could not disagree with more - she loves Poldark! Helen is a colourful character herself. She is originally from Manchester but has carved a niche for herself here by becoming very much involved with the community, particularly in the arts.


Not only is her little house crammed to bursting with arts projects...


...but she runs all kinds of events for the village too. The local Women's’ Institute makes fabulous rag rugs and Helen has a house full.




Helen used to work for Tourist information so straight away suggested my must see must do list:
  • Cape Cornwall  - just two minutes away
  • Sennen Cove – in her opinion the most beautiful places in the county.
  • She told me not to bother with Lands End  – “its rubbish and they will charge you £6 to park there to take a photo and then fleece you with tourist tat!"
  • Minack theatre “a total must do”
  • And St. Ives

The weather was not brilliant but the scenery didn’t need good weather to impress me.

Cape Cornwall was just a minutes or two away from her home as she said, down narrow lanes where I met this chap and a couple of his friends.


Cape Cornwall is also a small headland also managed by the National Trust. It’s about four miles north of Lands End.




There are supposed to be Choughs there, black birds recently re-introduced to Cornwall, but I have no idea what the difference is between a chough and a rook or a crow, so I have no idea what the birds were that I may have seen.

On to Sennen Cove, famous for surfing. The waves were certainly spectacular today. Very rugged and part of the Lands End Peninsular. 


You can see why the beach is very popular even today when in spite of it being mid July it is cold enough for jackets and very windy.


My friend John Kidson had suggested parking there and walking to Lands End to avoid the extortionate car parking fees. I didn’t walk to Lands End, I drove to the car park, informed the traffic kiosk attendant  that I was not staying, took a photo and left. I could see what Helen had implied. It was a bit of the theme park. They didn’t charge to park at John O’Groats but Cornwall is very seasonal in terms of work and I suppose they have to make money where and when they can.


I already knew about the Minack theatre at Porthcurno. My mother loved it there and introduced it to us when we were children first on holiday in Cornwall.  My daughter’s friend Vicky has just been there to see a show. It was already busy with tourists by 10.30am.


Minack is built over a gully on a granite cliff.  


It’s remarkable not just because of its location but because it was constructed by one woman, Rowena Cade and her gardener Billy Rawlings, over a period of many winters, hauling the building materials down from the family house or up from the beach.


Current touring theatre companies have to do the same with their sets, props and costumes every Saturday. The Trust that now manage the theatre still do it every day with the rubbish from the night before and catering supplies for the forthcoming performances. 

Minack has landscaped gardens of succulent and exotic plants. It’s beautiful.


My original plan was to scatter mums ashes on the stage, but it was scuppered because a theatre company was already there rehearsing and doing sound checks for a forthcoming performance of ‘A Winters Tale.’ There were lots of tourists around too, so I could not do it surreptitiously. No choice then. I would have to be more blatant. I called over to one of the production team.

“Excuse me, can I ask you to do something a bit weird for me?”
“Probably. What do you want?”
“I have a little pot of my mother’s ashes. Could you just scatter them onto the stage for me?”

Kitty never turned a hair.


She opened up the barrier and told me I was so welcome to do it myself. So I did. 


She called the young company director over and I told them a bit about Dreda and a little about her love of theatre and performing, and about Freya and her skills and how I would love to see Freya performing one of her own pieces on that same stage. Their company, ‘Moving Stories’ was here with around 30 students from the Central School of Drama and the production of 'A Winter’s Tale' was a musical version of Shakespeare’s play – not unlike opera! Freya would have loved it. I would have loved to see it too, having watched with the other tourists, little bits of teckie run through. But sadly by the time it was on for real, I would already be near Exeter.

St. Ives was a nightmare. Nowhere to park and far too many people.  How dare they? Whatever happened to me being the only tourist in England?





No chance. This is July in Cornwall and this does mean pedestrians sauntering in the too narrow streets, no car parks and pasty and fudge shops!

Eventually I found a half space on the building site that is the Tate Gallery refurbishment, just big enough for Gloria to squeeze in and went in search of food, which being in St Ives was likely to be pricey. Yep - found some food I could eat and it was pricey and a bit pretentious.    


The beaches in St Ives, like so many on that side of England were sandy and wide. The RNLI have a lifeguard station with loud speakers and tannoys to try to keep swimmers within the red and yellow flag area....


While allowing kayak and surf board training schools to work without drowning swimmers and no-one noticing.




At a distance the wetsuit clad lot looked like sharks!


St Ives is famous for a couple of things: a) its art school and almost every other shop an art gallery and b) the fact that there are so many second home owners that recently the council decided that new homes should only be sold to local people. It was noticeable how many pretty houses were holiday lets. One estimate puts holiday/second  homes there as high a 45% and that some cottages go for as much as £2000 a week. Given that Cornwall’s main industry is tourism and that is seasonal and low paid, how can local people afford to buy?

The St Ives Society of Artists were holding their Summer Exhibition in a somewhat damp smelling church building.



There were also artists like Nina Brook working in a studio in full view of passing trade.


I had been looking forward to seeing St. Ives but if I'm honest I was a bit underwhelmed. It is a kind of nostalgic advert for Cornwall, and I don’t mean 1950’s style with children in hand knitted swimmers playing on the beaches. This is all about a dream sequence: sand, surf, men like male models strutting their stuff, sporting shiny black wetsuits and designer pony tails, expensive branded clothes shops, yet more fudge, and one shop after another claiming title to “The World’s Best Award Winning Cornish Pasties.” Evidence? Toothpaste? Torch batteries? Tins of baked beans? Where did the real people do their shopping for life’s essentials like toilet rolls? I did see a greengrocers and it was flagging up as the oldest in the town and almost a museum.

I am rather afraid this is setting a pattern since I have not visited Cornwall for at least twenty years.
Tomorrow I am taking mum to some of her favourite places; Marazion,  Mousehole and St. Michael's Mount so we shall see 

As  for tonight, I am off to The LaFrowda Summer Ceilidh back in St. Just. It’s part of their arts and music festival week and at the weekend, the town will close to traffic for their carnival.
What is a Ceilidh and who or what was Lafrowda?  Remains to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment