Tuesday 14 June 2016

Day 44: Thurso and Dunnets Head

Worked until 2pm then went into Thurso.

Thurso is the biggest town round here but even that isn’t very big. The library is super and looked brand new as did the art gallery that was an integral part of it. Its in a very nice old building that has been beautifully modernised inside
                                              
And although I am not a member of the Scottish Library Service, they did give me a three hour pass to use their internet.


Two of the librarians, Richard and Erin gave me a list of must see and must do for my trip tomorrow.

Apparently there are NO houses on my routes tomorrow. It’s all mountains, glens, lochs and sheep, so no wonder I cannot find anywhere to stay. They reminded me to fill up with petrol.

At Forss there was once a shed that was the very first known drug smuggling factory. Opium and tobacco came in there because there was only one customs officer for the whole coast and he was nowhere near Forss. It was a very good racket for many years. I couldn’t verify this on the internet but the two men in my bunk house, both local Scots said that was well known.

They said there was a Chocolate Factory in Durness.

Kathy from Visit Scotland found me a bunkhouse in Durness where I can stay for two nights, and recommended a vegetarian restaurant Beans and Greens in the town for supper. But they closed at 4.30pm. It was 4.45pm but they kindly opened up and gave me dhal and rice and gluten free bread.



Back at Visit Scotland I thought I was going to Caithness Glass, but in fact it was a history of Thurso museum with Pictish stones and an exhibition about Dounreay Nuclear reactor which is also on my route tomorrow.





They suggested I stop off at Reay – a pretty village with a sandy beaches.

Not much going on in Thurso but William Smith, the man who was knighted for founding The Boys Brigade organisation was born here.


Finally I went to Dunnets Head. I can see it from my bedroom window. It is a peninsular in Caithness and is the real most northerly point on the UK mainland. John O’Groats claims that position and they are able to cope with coaches and hundreds of tourists. A tourist bus would have enormous problem climbing up to Dunnets Head on such a narrow winding single track road.






The view is wonderful and you can see that the peat bogs are not totally featureless after all. From up here you can see lots of small pools of water, lots more bog cotton and orchids.
There are some odd concrete buildings up here too that feel like MOD.









Time to go back to the cottage and enjoy the sea views while I can.




2 comments:

  1. I have questions! What is a bunkhouse? Something like a youth hostel? And how far have you gone in terms of mileage? How much further to go? I hope you're going to continue taking your time because it's an amazing trip - and that's just for your readers! The photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your support and continued interest. The Bunkhouse is usually an independent hostel. They are all over Scotland and the islands and are basic, like a Youth hostel but no membership is needed and it is very good value. The only drwaback is that often the dorms with perhaps 8 bunks are mixed gender. That might no be a problem to you but it is for some people. I did not have that problem as I was in a private two person room and was not required to share. If I had my bed would have only cost me £10 a night.

      Delete