Sunday 19 June 2016

Day 49: Disaster day - good and bad news in equal measure

What a blooming nightmare!!

Good news: I am not imagining a problem with Gloria
Bad news: Paul took her down the hill and said that the clutch is slipping. Today is Saturday. The only garage in Ullapool is closed until Monday.

Good news: Paul says if I treat her very gently and stay in low gear and go slowly, we will get to Plockton, my next place, perfectly well.
Bad news: These are the most demanding roads in the UK. There are mountains. Gloria is struggling to get out of second gear and doesn’t want to go up mountains any more.

Good news: Much of this journey is on the level. Not nearly so many mountains as there heave been over the last five days. Saw a garage and it was open Yay!!!!
Bad news: Not a garage at all...somewhere to keep haulage truck.s

Good news: Kindly Kenny the owner tied to ring a couple of garages he knew but they were all closed. He gave me his phone number and said she should make it to Plockton but in case she didn’t he would came and get me with his tractor if I broke down. He also tested Gloria and like Paul said he thought she’d get to Plockton but to take it very gently on the hills. (He means mountains just not the Munro sort of mountains!)
Bad news: “By the way Plockton doesn’t have a garage. You’d best drive on to Kyle of Lochalsh."

Good news: We limped into Kyle - just
Bad news: It's Saturday. The garage was shut. I am supposed to be back in Plockton staying on a farm that is 9 miles outside the town in the middle of nowhere – and no way to get there. I went to the police since my car was sitting defiantly in their drive opposite the garage.

Good news: Kyle of Lochalsh has the single best police force in two men anywhere in Great Britain! Big round of applause please.


First they found me a garage that was only open because staff were about to go on another rescue mission. John the mechanic let me have a car of his for £10 a day so I can still go to Skye and the farm at Plockton and when I get back on Wednesday morning - Gloria will be sorted. And as she's a Ford not a BMW or a MERC so it will be almost affordable.


What a stressful day. I haven’t a clue about scenery or wonders to behold. Spent 80 miles
concentrating on getting my beloved little car safely to a garage. And we have. And we did.


This is my replacement car. I stalled it four times just trying to get it out of the garage onto the main road. But doubtless we will soon get used to one another.

You can see the island of Skye from the Kyle of Lochalsh. It is so close! I had imagined in the ‘Over The Sea to Skye’ scenario that we were talking about a distance like from England to France but far from it. There’s a rather elegant road bridge and that is how I will get there on Monday (now I have a replacement car!)



Happily I had managed to get the car to move uphill without embarrassing myself, the farm was just 9 miles away. It turns out not to be the usual sort of farm.

Graig Highland Farm is a sort of conservation farm with the usual chickens and Bonnie the goat and the less common lama. Judging by the notices pinned to the fence, families are welcome to bring their children to see the various animals and feed them. I have seen neither any of the animal, any families with or without children nor my host. 

My cabin is wooden and self contained with a bath (hurray) and main room with kitchen sitting area and dining area and one bedroom. The views are great. Not too sure about the cabin but I intend to have a long soak in the bath with a glass of something red  and then an even longer sleep. Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment