Saturday 14 May 2016

Day 14: Helmsley part 1

I spent today in Helmsley with my friend Liz. Liz and I go back almost fifty years. She is my oldest friend. We know one another's history. Yet we see one another very rarely and have not been great at keeping in touch.


But when we do connect, like most soul level relationships, it's as though if was yesterday.
I love this woman.

When I arrived in Helmsley. The first thing she said after hugging me and saying how thrilled she was to see me, was "I'll put the washing machine on. You've been on the road ten days."

That's Yorkshire: warm, practical and blunt!

Liz is a wonderful soprano and a soloist. She also makes very pretty semi-precious jewellery


I have not seen Liz and barely spoken to her,  for about 5 years. A serious mistake and one we are all being forcefully reminded of, particularly this year when already in just five months, so many celebrity deaths are bringing us a clear message.

Being a numerologist by trade, I know 2016 is about relationships, love and conclusions. It reminds us to balance our wants, needs and desires with those of the people dearest to us.

The digits in 2016 add up to 9 - end of a cycle. Putin has pulled out of Syria, established businesses are going out of business. The UK is soon to vote on Europe, Obama is leaving the White House and Sir John Chilcot's report is out in July. All of these are 9 issues.

In a 9 year we are all invited to give something back, to serve unconditionally, to forgive those who have hurt us and thank those who have helped us.

I have spent two lovely days gently re-establishing my previous friendship with Liz. Lots of "do you remember when?" moments. Lots of laughing and in my case, unexpectedly, a few tears too.


Our friends, those real ones, are unbelievably precious. Don't wait. Catch up now. If we have learnt one thing this year it's that we can't rely on there being a tomorrow. Not everyone has that luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment