Wednesday 18 May 2016

Day 18: Ashington, Craster and Dunstanburgh

Day eighteen and so far only one day wet. 

Today I went to the Woodhorn Museum and Northumberland Archive. The wooded area around it still has regular sightings of red squirrels - they're rare down south. 

"So where's the red squirrel?" an American in front of me asked the car park attendant, as if there was only one and it was tethered here somehow. One might laugh, but there is a board at the barrier where staff write up sightings, "Red Squirrel last spotted today at 9.14am". There's a Monty Python or Peter Cook and Dudley Moore skit in there somewhere- something to do with MI5?

Car parking for £3.50 is all you have to pay to visit this wonderful tribute to Northumbrian mining. It is built on the site of the Ashington pit, and the buildings and machinery are still in place. 


 


I particularly wanted to see a gallery of work from the Pitman Painters. 


 





and the Miners Banners...




As well as other art exhibitions and interactive displays...




It is a really good experience, and whoever funded it got terrific value for money. 

Back onto the busy Northumbrian roads...


Craster and Dunstanburgh castle next and you could smell the smokers as soon as you arrived.  




Still famous for smoked herring (kippers to the Brits) there are several places in this small village where you can try crab and smoked fish. I had Cullen Skink a smoked fish soup made of kipper, leek and potato. Delish!


I also succumbed to a pot of Kipper pate - no bones canny lass. 


A quick mince round the art gallery to look at atmospheric seascapes by Mick Oxley.



Then off to Dunstanburgh Castle.

The walk from the car park at Craster is about a mile and a half and is literally along the edge of the coastline with the sea to the right and the hills with sheep and gorse bushes to the left. 




The castle is on rock known as Whin Sill, and this rock crops up all over here unlike the previous sand dunes. Much more rugged. 





Dunstanburgh was already a ruin by 1313, and after being fought over during The War of the Roses, has never been restored.



Just off the coast here are the Farne Islands. They are full of puffins at this time of year. I toyed with the idea of getting a boat to see them



but being a very seasick person changed my mind. 


Here is a postcard of a puffin instead! 


And Scotland must be near, because I got this in my change.


I stopped briefly at Bamburgh Castle as it was closing to get a couple of pictures for Morgan. Bamburgh was once the capital of Northumberland.

Then put tonight's Airbnb address  into my Sat. Nav: Flodden Battlefield. But as I headed towards it, it became clear that it was nowhere near the coast and possibly very near Scotland.

Yep, I was right- just four minutes from Coldstream which is a village in Scotland. Oh well, makes a change and doubtless there will be a reason why. I intend to do  Lindisfarne tomorrow, which is most definitely on the coast, but some distance from here, and the causeway is only clear from 5am to 12am


So it's goodnight from me 

5 comments:

  1. I'm both enthralled and exhausted just reading about your trip. We're you, I wonder, expecting it to be QUITE so good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally loving it. People told me I would be lonely and should travel with a friend. However this was definitely the way for me. I do need to slow it down though. I did not realise how big some of these counties are and my daughters are really encouraging me to take my time




      Delete
  2. I love how you write and the pictures too. Be great (if you get time at some point of journey) if you could tell us a bit more about how the trip, so far, is impacting upon you on a personal level. For example: Hopes and aspirations for when you get home and how you see your future; Missing friends/family; Spiritual or philosophical impact of this journey which is, I imagine, an amazing life changing experience.
    I read a book few years ago called "Spark Your Dream" by an Argentinian couple named Candelaria & Herman Zapp. It was about their journey from South to North america in a 1928 Graham-Paige car. A wonderful read not least for the encounters with fascinating people.
    They are still on the road now many years later! So better warn your friends and family ha
    Keep posting
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen.
      Interesting question.
      One of my sisters gave me a journal as backup and I thought it would last the whole trip. It has lasted three weeks. I had to buy another one today. So much is happening that I am not blogging. One thing is my sense of embarrassment in places where there is considerable deprivation. I wasn't expecting to feel embarrassed to have more than other people even though the reality is that I have saved hard for this trip by working my socks off. It has made me deeply grateful for the life and family I have. I am already a spiritual person and some of the weird things that are occurring I half expect but I am still filled with awe when I consider how all the bits come together at exactly the perfect time: the comment out of the blue that triggered a two hour conversation for example or discovering the place you never planned to be,40 miles off the coast, is just four minutes from a deeply significant place in my mum's life - bearing in mind I have her ashes on the seat beside me to scatter in beautiful places.

      Delete
  3. It good that you understand the feelings of "embarrassment" are nothing to be ashamed of and therefore not allowed them to dampen your spirits. You seem very self aware.
    I too love how joining the dots up after a sequence of events or chance encounters somehow leads us to a meaningful place.
    Arriving at that "significant place" of your Mum's whilst carrying her ashes is very special.
    Perhaps travelling alone (for the most part) has allowed you to really tune in to your spiritual side helping guide you along the journey.
    I am a tad envious and one day will embark on something similar as and when my circumstances allow.
    Keep posting and growing...
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete