Wednesday 25 May 2016

Day 25: Anstruther and St Andrews

An angel in red overalls revived my dead indicators in 45 seconds. No charge. The rumour spreading about me on social media through beloved daughter number two is untrue. I absolutely deny that I am self sabotaging in order to meet nice men!

The fixed car meant travelling along the Fife Coastal route towards St. Andrews. Signposting on the A911 kept indicating the location of Scotland's Secret Bunker. Well, it's not a secret now is it?

The tourist route is well marked. In places the only things separating me from the sea are golf courses. But then I am heading for St.Andrews after all.  Saw my first oil rigs.



Gloria and I meandered through little villages along roads bordered by stone walls and flower banks.


and lochs...


Colour washed cottages and small working harbours .




In Pittenween I found a place for lunch. Everywhere serves fish and chips,  or chips with fish so not surprisingly the landlord suggested... fish and chips - smoked fish - as something different.


Well it was certainly different. Smoked haddock in gluten free breadcrumb, processed peas and strangely limp brown stained chips.

Almost inedible but since he was drying glasses and smiling at me and watching every mouthful, I had no choice. I was saved by a pair of American tourists from North Carolina ordering take out Americanas. I secreted what was left in my serviette and pocketed it until I found a suitable bin.
No photo. I don't want to embarrass anyone.

Most of this route has sandy beaches, but those at Pittenween are more suited to ship wrecking than swimming.


Should have held on for lunch just a few minutes longer til I reached the bigger town of Anstruther, judging by the crowd of red braided blazered school children piling out of the chippy. Award winning chippy no less.




Oh well onwards to St Andrews which was worth the journey.

I met a Portuguese guy running the crystal shop and he gave me my must see must do and told me parking was free by the harbour.



The Cathedral ruins...


The castle...


Market Street, a wide shopping street with independent shops and smaller interesting a streets coming off it.


 Interesting very ancient buildings





And some very new ones...


Some things were to be expected...


Others less expected...




 




He sent me into the University to look at the ancient buildings and lovely grounds

 





Tea next at Gorgeous, a 40's retro cafe where they only took cash because it was 1940 and credit cards not yet invented.






Their specialty was fab scones made every day. The Prince of Cambridge scones are the best sellers with blueberry and white chocolate, named after Prince William as he went to University here.


Fun decor and the old fashioned radio broadcasting declarations of war by UK and USA governments interspersed by 1940 music.


They could even provide me with pear chocolate and walnut GF cake.


In the harbour, where I had left my car, was a historic boat and since it was going nowhere remotely seasick generating I went aboard to take a look.




 



Finally I could hardly leave St.Andrews without seeking out its famous golf course.



I even spotted a tractor hoovering up hundreds of practise balls at the end of the session.

Drove back to Markinch across country and barely saw another car.

Tomorrow I move on to Perth.

No comments:

Post a Comment