Sunday 29 May 2016

Day 29: Scone, Forfar, and Glamis

Tired today.

This morning, Helen took me to Scone Palace on her way to a Church of Scotland service in Forfar. Another well presented and cherished Palace just outside Perth.



Scone, pronounced Scoon, was the crowning palace of Scottish Royalty. It housed the stone of destiny, the king making seat, and was immortalised in Shakespeare's Macbeth.



The stone was seized by the English and for many many years was kept at Westminster.


There is a copy of it at Scone because no-one really knows where the original has gone.


I went on to Forfar with Helen. Things have changed since I last went to church. The minister was a very charismatic ex-research scientist Dr. Karen Fenwick. The hymns were modern, the prayers relevant to today's world and her way of using social media and PowerPoint in her service quite inspirational. After the service I was offered Cloutie Dumpling with a cuppa. Cloutie is a cloth and the dumpling was a bit like bread pudding and presumably steamed in a cloth.

I was sorry to say goodbye to Helen. I felt I had always known her.

And I was tired, so I went to Glamis Castle and spent the rest of the day walking in the gardens and enjoying a guided tour. 

Glamis pronounced Glarms was the childhood home of the Queen Mother. Lovely place.



Then off to find my next home on the outskirts of Dundee.

No comments:

Post a Comment